October 31, 2014

Hematoma Lancing

Warning: The following videos/photos contain blood and anyone with a queasy stomach may not want to read this post. However, I found it fascinating. Maybe I should have become a vet...

After letting Hugo settle in for the evening, I checked on his swollen rump early the next morning.

Suspected hematoma...not getting any better.
Sure enough the swelling hadn't gone down. I let EB know, and she made an afternoon appointment at the vet. Monday's are good for me for horse emergencies. It is one of the few days that Junior and I don't have a class or pre-school scheduled. EB arrived at the farm about 3:30pm and we loaded up both horses and hauled 15 minutes to the vet's clinic. Yea to avoiding a farm call fee!

Hugo in the stocks getting ready for his procedure. Gentry just chilling!
Luckily the vet was able to accommodate both horses, so we were able to kill two birds with one stone. We got Hugo's rump fixed and both boys got their Flu/Rhino vaccinations and coggins done as well. For his part, Gentry was a saint! He instantly loaded on the trailer (this was my first time hauling him), hauled like a gem, unloaded quietly, stood tied next to Hugo the entire time we were at the vet (literally every stall in the clinic and the other stocks were full), and was great about his shots.

But back to the story...

The instant we pulled Hugo off the trailer the vet tech confirmed that Hugo did indeed have a hematoma. I was stoked that I had correctly self diagnosed (thanks to a good hour on Google and YouTube) what was amiss with his rump. Due to my fascination with the whole ordeal I couldn't help but document it on photo and video.



After the lancing. EB was as equally fascinated as I.
After the lancing was complete, the vet stitched up the sides of the lance and left a drain hole. Hugo is on antibiotics for five days and it should take seven to ten days for the wound to stop dripping and to heal up. In the mean time, we have to keep the drain hole open by picking out the clots that form.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•Renee•

14 comments:

  1. Ouch! Poor guy! What caused the hematoma? I guess it's probably a mystery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that video was intense and kind of gross... but also kind of cool, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow. was anyone else reminded of those elevators in 'the shining'???? anyway, hope he heals up quick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy god that was a lot of blood...my horse had one in the same spot years ago! Must have been a kick. Bet he feels better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO COOL.

    Are you keeping vaseline on the leg below and right below the drain to prevent scalding? That's what I had to do with Q when she had a drain in. Wondering if it is standard procedure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Vet didn't mention doing that. What would cause scalding?

      Delete
  6. Yes coat the the leg below the drain with vaseline, the constant drip of blood and body fluid will burn the hair right off:( That video is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip guys. We have him all lubed up. So far it didn't seem like any hair was burning off, so I think we got to it in time.

      Delete
  7. Wowzers!!

    And Gentry is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mostly just out of curiosity did the vet say why he wanted to lance it? Most hematomas get reaborbed on their own with a little time...dealt with this with my mare in the same exact spot and we were just told to give it a few weeks (and it did go away). We assumed she was kicked, that's usually their cause, especially in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't hear that part of the conversation because I was preoccupied with Junior at the time. But I am guessing because of the timeline and the fact that it was getting exponentially bigger every day. Also, Hugo was pretty uncomfortable with it. After the lancing it was night and day. All he wanted to do was run around and seemed a lot happier/more comfortable.

      Delete
  9. They noted the scalding could occur from the fluids draining and dripping onto exposed areas below. I think it was a heightened concern for wet/dry cycle from fluids on other unaffected areas and noted so that I could be certain to keep all areas clean. The vaseline was an easier way to achieve that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has made it a lot easier to clean up his leg, that is for sure! The blood and fluids got crusty in a hurry, and with the colder weather I felt bad for him having to have it hosed and scrubbed it all the time.

      Delete
  10. Thanks to FFA I always want to lance things on myself because we do it to animals lol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails