January 21, 2015

Cannon Bone Injury Update - Week 2

As of today it has been two weeks that Gentry has been healing and tolerating his stall rest due to his canon bone injury. The wound did the majority of the visible healing this week. Every time I changed the bandage I was happy to see scabbing and very obvious healing going on. This past Friday was the first time that I noticed scabbing. I was very happy to see that development. I was so excited about how well it was healing up that on Monday I completely forgot to take a photo when I was changing his bandage. By the time I remembered he was already wrapped up and I was not going to do that all over again for the sake of a photo.

Since it has been two weeks, and everything seems to have grown back together, it was time to take the stitches out. I had noticed on Monday that they were starting to pull at the skin, doing more harm than good at that point, so I twiddled my thumbs the past two days just waiting to be able to take out the stitches.

Photo Timeline To-date


Canon Bone Injury - Day 1

Canon Bone Injury - Week 1

Canon Bone Injury - Week 2

Canon Bone Injury, stitches removed - Week 2

Now that the stitches are out, I no longer have to apply ointment to the wound, as according to my vet, it is better for it to heal dry under the bandage now. Otherwise the bandage is the same. Telfa pad (non-stick pad), cotton sheet, vet wrap, and then secure top and bottom of vet wrap with elastic adhesive tape. I am a pro at this now! So he gets his bandage for another few days, then I will begin to transition his body to no bandage with the use of standing wraps.

The Bandage

Although the stitches are out and the cut on his canon bone is mostly healed, Gentry still has one more week of stall rest to let that tendon finish healing up.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•Renee•

4 comments:

  1. Yikes. Hoping everything continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a relief that he's healing well - hopefully that tendon is back to 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for continued healing success!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails