September 26, 2014

Longeing Rock Star


Gentry and I are (have been for a while now) in sync on our longeing techniques these days. He is happily walk/trot/cantering in both directions to voice command (no kissing). His halt has improved and he is halting nice and perpendicular to the longeline when I ask.

He is also standing quietly and waiting for me to approach to change direction. At first he used to stop and then spin toward me. That, as you all know by now, is a huge pet peeve of mine. This was not surprising to me though, given what I assume was his first owner's natural horsemanship training technique. The gal I bought him from had mentioned that his first owner taught him to longe. He also only understood to change pace from a kissing command. However, he is very smart and picked up on the walk/trot/canter voice commands after only a couple longeline sessions.

His longeing is so good now, that when I know that I will be riding him, I longe him in full tack instead of the cavesson and he's been a rock star.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•Renee•

1 comment:

  1. I can't get over how handsome he is! I'm so glad you're both getting along so well. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails