August 27, 2014

Horse Delemas

Those of you who have followed my blog since the beginning, know I have an obsession with this stallion:

Gatsby
He is Rose's sire and produces very nice ammy friendly horses, that consistently look just like him, despite the dam. It is my main desire to find a colt/gelding by Gatsby as my next prospect. Which was my plan when I bought Rose. I just lost my resolve when she came along and couldn't turn her down. The problem however is that Gatsby colts are hard to come by, and the colts generally have a big price tag. That doesn't mean I won't' get lucky and find a little guy in my budget, but it may take some time.

Thinking a lot about Beacon lately...

This has of course made me think about breeding. I have even been offered two very nice broodmares for FREE to breed to him. I know that that would potentially be the most affordable route to go (or possibly the most expensive, if things were to go wrong). Then I also have to deal with the fact that I have a broodmare to get rid of after the baby is born.

Now, both the mares in question are young, only four and six. One is a OTTB with minimal post track training but is a proven broodie to a gorgeous 2014 Gatsby colt. The other is a registered RPSI mare that has never been started and is maiden. Potentially both great projects to train post weaning and then flip.

RSPI Mare, sorry no photo of the TB mare.

However, I really don't want to deal with a mixed herd, or mare issues. Then of course, it can be hard to sell a mare. Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em. No one seems to be indifferent to the gender. I am in the camp of the latter. I really don't want another mare. Ever again. Rose was an amazing horse to ride, but on the ground we butted heads so much that working with her just wasn't fun most of the time. She was a horse that seemed to love everyone but me. We definitely had a teenager/mother/daughter relationship. I really don't want to invest time and money into a situation like that again. What to do then?

Wait and find a gelding! 

That's my plan. Since it will likely take some time to find a Gatsby Boy, I am currently on the hunt for a husband safe/kid safe project. Something in the 15.2h range that I can use to teach Hubs to ride, play around with at the low levels, trail ride, and eventually pony my Gatsby Boy off of. That's my plan. Now I have to go and turn down some very generous owners of a couple really beautiful  horses.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. Mares really aren't for everyone--if I never own another one, it will be too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know I'm not alone! I actually cried on my trainers shoulder two years ago over this, and she assured me I want a horrible person for it. I felt so bad admitting it out loud.

      Delete
  2. I've ridden exactly one mare that I [sort of] got along with. Geldings FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's smart to buy not breed since there are so many places for things to go wrong. Also, you wouldn't have any guarantee you'd get a colt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know of a 5yo gatsby gelding who is for sale and as cute as could be - 17.1hh - almost black, great jumper or dressage horse. Currently in training with a GP dressage rider located in NW WA. $20k was the last price I heard on him, which doesn't seem awful for the amount of pro-training he's had. The trainer he's currently with is Garyn Heideman - you can google her or e-mail me at hammerhorses@gmail.com and I can get her contact info for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, but he is about 5x my budget. I'm definitely looking for a weanling for that reason.

      Delete
  5. Keeping my fingers crossed for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know I'm not the only gelding lover!! I butt heads with mares too. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails