May 27, 2014

Sore Feet...what to do, what to do...

Poor Hugo. He is suffering from sore spring feet. After going through this with Rose, struggling for her to stay sound year after year, and finally putting shoes on her, everything in me screams put shoes on him! I will never go through that with a horse of mine again. In hindsight, I see Hugo showing all the signs that I made excuses to look past when Rose was sore. Even when she wasn't "sore" she was sore. I just really didn't want to admit it. In my defence, I was honestly worried for a while that she would kill any farrier that tried to shoe her. So, positive health reasons for not shoeing a horse aside, I also had that concern going for me. In the end though, she didn't care at all about being shod and was so much happier and sound...all the time...on any surface. I really wish I had shod her when she was 4 or 5. Oh well.

However, Hugo is not my horse, and I imagine his feet will toughen up here in a few weeks with diligent care and he will be sound enough. EB is taking that route, so I hope his toes do toughen up. Really, for her sake I hope he really comes sound too. It would be nice if she could get by without shoeing him. However, I'm skeptical as his diet and lifestyle are not exactly barefoot friendly. Time will tell.

As for me though, his sore feet meant no riding yesterday. Poo. Plus I have my volunteer meeting on Wednesday evening, so no riding then either. It's a no riding week for me. Kind of a bummer after having such a great time with Hugo last week. But that's just how it goes when you are a pick up rider. Picking up rides when you can get them. Oh well. Note to self...go jogging this week.

So what to do with the free time I have at the moment? I guess I should get started on Dom's painting. Remember that? Yeah, I have a million reasons and excuses as to why I haven't started it. But they are more or less all moot now, so I wont bore you all with them and I will just go get to painting!

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•Renee•

3 comments:

  1. That sucks for Hugo (and you!)... especially if his diet isn't barefoot friendly. I hope they toughen soon so you can get back to riding.

    How is house hunting going? Did you decide to get the place with ten acres that you mentioned back in February?

    ReplyDelete
  2. House hunting is fine...the problem is we have to sell our house first. So, basically we've stopped looking because everything we have found and gotten excited about has sold. One step at a time I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that makes sense! It is definitely no fun at all to find something you love and not be able to buy it because your house hasn't sold. I hope you find a buyer soon!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails