February 12, 2014

Why the horse addiction?

I know that we all get asked this question in one form or another from the well intentioned and caring non-horse people in our lives. For my part, I've found it nearly impossible to explain. Horses just make everything right in my life. When I don't have a horse, I get by, but there is just always something missing. Then today, one of my cousins who is in her 20's, posted a link to this blog post today. I thought, heck I'll read it. I'm way to old for it to be relevant, but I have five more minutes of nap time left...

I am reading down the list, thinking to myself "yeah, that would have been good to know when I was in my 20's, yada yada yada". Then BAM! Big ole #8 basically explained horse addiction as I see it.


"8. Find something that makes you feel like the world makes sense, even if you can't justify it intellectually to yourself or anyone else. Personally, if I don't rock a wall, get up, get laid, get down on a dance floor, read a good book, write a poem, listen to a mind-blowing record or have a soul-shaking, satisfying conversation at least once a week, the world doesn't make sense to me and I am unmoored. If I don't get these things for a month, I become a total, inconsolable, incomprehensible wreck. This wreck can easily snowball into all kinds of self-destruction. Find what works for you and be loyal to it as a loyalty to yourself."-http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mensen/19-things-i-wish-someone-_b_4748182.html

When I am at a barn riding, grooming, or even simply mucking a stall the world just makes sense. Rationally (except for the 1%), having a horse in today's society doesn't make any sense at all. Not from a financial or safety stand point. But we all know that. We just don't care, because for us (or me anyway) horses make the world make sense. We get a break from all the crazy and stress in life (plus some easy exercise). When I am spending time with my horse, 100% of my attention is on that horse. There is no room to think about anything else. No way for the craziness and stress of life to creep  in. I get a break from it all, at least for a couple hours.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•Renee•

6 comments:

  1. That's it in a nutshell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely describes horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% -- in fact, one of the reasons I bought a horse when I did was because things just didn't feel right anymore. I missed being a horse owner so, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! SOOOO YES! That is the only time the world makes sense!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails