October 16, 2013

Feedback/thoughts please!

First let me preface that I am NOT horse shopping at the moment. We ARE house/land shopping. Horse shopping should begin AFTER the land is purchased, ideally. Unfortunately though, when a good opportunity comes along I find it hard to let it pass buy. So...

I first learned about this guy last year when I had first put Rose up for sale. I thought he had sold, but recently found out he is still available. Right now what I need are lots of reason to not buy him! Hubs would be eternally grateful to you all for talking me out of this. But really, I would love to hear your thoughts on this guy in terms of conformation, etc.

Holliday -  August, 2 year old
Holliday - Early spring 2 year old

Holliday - August, 2 year old

He is a two year old Dutch warmblood by of the KWPN stallion Richard and out of an Irish Sporthorse Mare named Gotcha. The mare has Hanoverian lines that go back to Gotthard (the rock star jumping stallion that Gatsby comes from). Gotcha has no performance record due to injury, but she does have a killer free jump (see below). Richard, if you are unfamiliar, is an awesome jumper in his own right.

Richard
Richard
Gotcha
Gotcha
Holliday has a great trot and from the small amount of video I've seen looks like he will make a good lower level dressage horse and clearly he has the breeding to jump. My goals are to find a horse that I can do all around stuff with, much like Rose. Some dressage, adult ammy hunters (3' max likely...unless I suddenly get some kahunas again), field hunting, trail riding, etc. He's supposed to have a good mind, is calm, easy to handle, and already has all his basics down. So, what do you all think? I know his photos aren't the best for conformation critique but it's all they had on hand at the moment and he's a 4 hour drive from here. Certainly if I move forward I'll ask for a few more pictures, but for now TALK ME OUT IF IT!

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•Renee•

12 comments:

  1. He has a belly spot! Therefore, I am physically incapable of talking you out of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with the other 2 - there's no reason to talk you out of him especially since you're horseless and missing it. He's cute! Having 1 horse won't stop you from getting a house and land - think of it as motivation to get rid of boarding bills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to say I agree with the above comments, I like the looks/sound of him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU NEED A HOUSE/LAND BEFORE YOU NEED A HORSE.

    There! That's the best I've got..... cuz I'm a big time sucker for lotsa chrome (that face!!!) on a dark horse. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok,so the only think I can say is I prefer a little less white then what's on the left side of the face.... I had to really stretch to find negatives.... other then the bad timing. I had a good horse at a great price I passed on because of bad timing, and will always regret it a little.

    I agree with Stephanie, no better motivation to find that property then a horse to board.... You could always take the 4 hour drive, or maybe they'd bring him to you to try? Never hurts to ask, especially when they've been on the market awhile. You never know, you could hate him in person, then it would be settled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He really looks like a gorgeous horse. I can't think of ways to talk you out of buying him, other than the one Emily said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I am unable to talk you out of this. He is lovely. Buy him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, good luck with that . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always find the best horse when you're not looking -- at least, that's kind of what happened to me anyways! He's super cute -- love that even with all that chrome he doesn't have a blue eye. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Not a chance :) He is lovely! Love the markings and that sweet face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay... I think you should step back, evaluate the situation, and think to yourself - is this horse better than Rose? Because you just sold a *REALLY* nice horse that you LOVED because you have a precious baby that takes up a lot of time and a goal to buy land with a house. Is buying this horse going to prohibit you from moving forward on the purchase of land? Can I talk you in to waiting so you can get another Gatsby baby?? Think about if you hold off for just a little bit longer, get a G baby or mare thats in foal to G, then by the time you are truly starting this baby your little nugget at home is starting kindergarden and you'll have more free time. Wouldn't getting a 2 year old when he is hitting toddler years be super HARD?? It was easy to find someone to help you with Rose because she was ridable, but in my experience its hard to find someone else to mess with a baby baby bc people tend to be more insecure with them. In my opinion - I think you should wait for another G baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ashley gave very good reasons for waiting. I have to agree. If you didn't have time for Rose you aren't going to have time for him. As for the horse personally, I can say nothing about conformation because of the pictures, but my personal preference is I HATE white faces!!! I don't care for the way they look and their noses always sunburn unless you're super diligent about sunscreen. Again that's totally a personal opinion, so it probably won't help much to dissuade you lol. If I could get my hands on his sire I would be happy. Goodness he's gorgeous!!!!! Of course I think the reason I like Richard is because he reminds me of a horse I dearly loved, but never owned lol.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails