June 17, 2013

Soft Soles Get a Rest

It has been raining here non-stop for a month. We finally got a break from the deluge this weekend and Rose's paddock has dried out thank goodness. Unfortunately the bad trim job she had a few months back, coupled with the rain/mud has caused her soles to soften. I've ended up giving her about a week off, since she was showing a mild lameness on her left front last week, but no signs of any injury or swelling. My assumption at the time was stone bruise or abscess brewing. No abscess has surfaced and she's completely sound again, so I'm guessing stone bruise. I'm now being diligent about trying to get her soles hard, through the use of salt water and iodine applications, and have stopped trail riding her. It's a bummer because all I want to do lately is trail ride her. It just might be time to break out our cavallo sport boots for her front feet if the rain doesn't stay away!

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

1 comment:

  1. If she's sound again I vote pull out the boots!! It would suck to miss the prettiest part of the year for trail riding. I hope her soles toughen up soon. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails