April 19, 2013

Bang head on desk, repeat.

AHHHHHHH!

Whew, I feel a little better now that I got that out. Yesterday was spring shots, coggins, float, etc. day at the barn. Since Rose had just been trimmed I asked my vet to take a look at her feet also.

Bad news.

She's sore in all four feet and has an increased digital pulse. The trim was too short, and in the vet's opinion not as balanced as it could be. Prescription: bute for three days and a week off.

It's not the end of the world...feet do grow back. But it does mean my new farrier search has to continue. It also means that I have to cancel the appointment that I set up for next month. Which means I have to tell the gal why I'm canceling.

Awkward.

Oh well. Marching on. My vet gave me a couple people to consider calling. I might just default to the guy who does the rest of the barn's feet. He's good and convenient. I've only not used him because he's expensive. Or maybe I'm cheap? What do you guys think? Is $60 expensive for a trim, especially when it's done every four weeks?

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

8 comments:

  1. Wowza, I cringed when my trim cost went from $20 to $35. (Of course now I'm paying close to $200 for shoes all around. Grr.) $60 seems crazy to me, but I'm awfully cheap too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can look at it as $60 for someone who won't cripple your horse when they shoe them or if they do it right the first time. If its $60 and they still do a bad job, then yes it's expensive for no reason! (Frankly I think all people should do a good job but thats not always the case.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. How frustrating. $60 does seem like a lot to me. I pay $45. At that same time, you could easily be paying for shoes and it would cost you even more than $60 per time, and you would have to deal with the pain of losing shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is $60 every four weeks, equates to $120 every eight. So it is more or less the same as putting shoes on her. Still a tiny bit cheaper, but not much. However, I don't have her barefoot for financial reasons, but because she has good feet and simply doesn't need shoes. I'm used to paying $45...so it seems like a big jump, even though really it's not all that much more. I guess a mental leap I just have to get over!

      Delete
  4. $60 Does seem a bit high, I pay $45 on average. I am stuck trying to find a good farrier currently. Mine went to South Africa :( I am in the Billings area and for some reason good farriers are hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bozeman is the same problem! It is so frustrating.

      Delete
  5. Ouch!! I pay $25.... I couldn't imagine paying $60 for a trim... I was really hoping they would work out. :( I hope Rose feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SIXTY DOLLARS?! Holy Smokes! I only pay $35 for a trim! Two fronts is $80 down here. I would continue your search, I think that price is outrageous.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails