February 14, 2013

A Most Excellent Ride

Last night I stuffed the baby full of food and handed him off to Hubby when he walked in the door, and like a little kid at the county fair I skipped out the door and headed out to the barn.

Of course I arrived at the barn at dusk, so the majority of our time was spent ice skating across the barn driveway in the pitch black darkness by the light of my head lamp. For this, Rose is a saint. Honestly, she's couldn't be better about the fact that it is pitch black (although I suspect her night vision is better than mine) or the silly bright light bobbing around on my head and shining in her eyes.

Since she's being tried out on Friday by a potential buyer, we played beauty parlor and I cleaned up any stray goat hairs, fluffed up her tail and all around polished her up to shine. I even took a moment to stand back an appreciate my work and what a beautiful mare she is. Sigh. She is so lovely. Then we headed to the arena, again in the pitch black, and went for a ride. She was amazing. Really, I should of had CR put some time on her ages ago. However, I never would have had the time to ride her frequently like I am right now, so all in all it's best I waited until I did. At any rate, I had a terrific ride on her and I'm looking forward to tonight as well.

Now that the reality is setting in that she might actually sell some time soon I'm starting to get a bit sad about it. It is for the best though. She needs to find her forever home and person. Until then though, I plan on continuing to enjoy every moment that I can with her and appreciate her for all of her wonderful talents and sweet personality.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

8 comments:

  1. I missed something along the way...I did not realize you were selling Rose! Are you looking for a new horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be after she is sold...at some point. I'm still considering my various options at the moment. Realistically it will be another year until Jr. starts pre-school and I have more "me" time again. Until then, do I half lease, hack friend's horses, just take lessons 1-2 times a week, invest in another youngster that can be a pasture puff for another year or two? Not sure what I will do. Right now with Jr. I'm really short on time, so it is hard for me to get to the barn regularly and give Rose the attention she deserves and keep her in work the way she likes. She is a horse that loves having a job and being in work at least 4-5 days a week. She's just too nice to let go to waste sitting in a field for another couple years (not to mention the financial burden of paying for a horse I don't ride), so about a month or so back I decided it was time to sell her. In addition, as nice and lovely as she is, for whatever reason we've just never developed "that bond" and after three years I doubt that we ever will. As and adult amateur with only one horse, "that bond" is really important to me. So I will continue my search for my forever horse. The future is up in the air, but before I can decide what to do, Rose needs to move onto her new forever home. So that is my focus at the moment. Until then though, I'm planning on enjoying every moment I can with her.

      Delete
    2. I did not get my first horse, Riva, until I was 41...and she is like another full time job. So I understand. I honestly do not know how women do this with small children - esp with young and/or green horses. I hope you find a fantastic home for Rose!

      Delete
    3. I haven't a clue how anyone does it...clearly. I'd like to have a frank discussion with my womens studies professors that told us you can have it all. They left out the part about having it all, but only one thing at a time. Meh!

      Delete
  2. I so understand where you are coming from, my baby is just a little younger I believe than yours and it becomes that decision of whats best for me, horse, and family if I can only ride 1-2 times a week. Its nice to have the consistency of your own horse but not necessarily the most financially responsible idea to pay that money for something that sits a fair amount. Then again if you get a more schooled horse, you could do a half lease to keep the horse busy and help with the finances, but have the horse there for when you do have more free time in the future... we will get that right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad.... if you decide not to buy a new horse for a while will you still blog about your baby, lessons, leases or whatever? I'd hate for you to disappear. We'd miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, fear not, I will not be disappearing from the blogosphere! I'm fairly certain that my world would utterly collapse if I stopped riding. Until I start my next horse project, I will be lessoning regularly. I'll definately blog about that as well as my search for my next project, or whatever I decide to do. The only difference really will be that I will be riding 4x a month and only paying for a lesson when I ride, verses paying the huge cost of maintaining a show horse that I only ride 4x a month. Ugh, when I think about it that way it makes me cringe!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails