December 27, 2012

Tough decisions...

Three years ago, when I first started out on my adventure with Rose I didn't know where it would lead. At the very least I figured I could start her and then sell her. She grew on me, and I decided to keep her and see where we would go. Time has passed. She is an amazing horse, with far more talent than I need. That doesn't bother me though, because she is also happy doing what I enjoy under saddle. However, time and time again it has hit home that she and I have to vastly different personalities. She is a saint for EB, and pretty much anyone else that I have ever had ride her or work with her. She knows me too well. We are like to boss mares always fighting over the hay pile. As much as I love riding her, and greatly enjoy her elastic gates and amazing athletic abilities, it is time for Rose to move on and to find a new owner that loves and enjoys her and vis a vis.

Rose will continue to progress and make a terrific show horse, in dressage or hunters (or even eventing), and I can't wait to see where she goes. It has been a great experience starting her, and I look forward to my next project. But you'll have to wait until she finds a new home to hear all about my next adventure in colt starting...in the mean time, I will continue Rose's training and my plans to show her this spring/summer. It is going to be a fun one!

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

14 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. It just isn't always right. Best wishes to the both of you on this next stage of your journeys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SprinklerBandit: you are actually the first person I thought of when I finally made the decision to put her up for sale. I've been wavering on the subject for about a year now. The fact that you found Cuna and have such a great bond is one of the reasons that I have the strength to finally sell her. It gives me hope that yes, the right "forever" horse is out there for me.

      Delete
  2. That's such a tough decision to make. It's so funny to think of selling your horse, since you would never sell your dog or cat. However, with such a great animal comes bigger responsibilities and a whole slew of challenges, and honestly personality is one of the biggest things that needs to be understood in horse ownership! You can be the best rider in the world, but still not be able to ride certain horses the way a child or less experienced rider can! It's sad and tough but ultimately so much better for both you and your horse! Good luck on your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marissa: I never thought about how horses differ from dogs & cats. Such a good point. However,if Rose was "the one" that was meant to be with me forever I would never consider selling her. I think that's the disconnect. I've had that relationship with horses in the past, it just never been that way with Rose.

      Delete
  3. Will you post the details on here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as soon as I can. In the mean time here is a link to her dreamhorse.com ad: http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1843911

      Dreamhorse ID is 1843911
      All breed pedigree name is Geneva21

      Anyone interested can contact me via dreamhorse or dock.start@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Best wishes to the both of you, the next steps might be tough but might be whats best for the both of you! Personalities do clash but then there's moments when you have that horse thats just right for you, good luck on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what the disconnect is. Rose is amazing, and I love riding her, but she's just not "the one" for me. She really needs to be someone else's horse. I know that she will make someone immensely happy. She's been a really fun project though, and I'm really proud of everything we have accomplished.

      Delete
  5. Well that is kind of sad. I hope the transition goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alanna. I am sad about it, but at the same time I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that I've finally made the decision. I'm feeling positive about the future. She's going to be a wonderful show horse for someone. She'd be a perfect AA or JR horse.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure that you will find her the best new home possible. I can't wait to see where she goes from here. It's a tough decision, but probably a wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to both of you and your new futures...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Story. It did, and I'm in no rush to sell her, but it does feel good to finally have made a decision on the topic after wavering over it for the past year. She's just meant to be someone else's forever horse. It's tough to accept, but I am coming around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww so sad! I understand why you're selling her though. Horses are too expensive to try to make it work with one you just don't mesh with well. I think she has a great future because of all of the great work you have done with her. I hope she finds an amazing home with someone that meshes with her personality and I hope you find the perfect forever horse. I'm excited to hear about your next project (or forever horse)! Good luck! Oh and I LOVE the new banner. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails