December 2, 2012

Back to jumping basics.

My goal for today was simple; to get Rose willingly over an ex. It has been a few weeks since I last jumped Miss Thing, so I thought it was best to have low expectations. As per usual, she walked and trotted over the trot poles with no hesitation. I put up the ex. She trotted the ex just fine, again no hesitation. Again, as per usual, we come around a second time and she does her best to run out. I'm a little perplexed as to why she runs out on the second attempt, not the first. Regardless, I was expecting it and she did not like the resulting reprimand and proceeded to jump the ex from the walk. We came again, and she attempted to run out but with no success, and then she halfheartedly tried again.

Finally, Rose trotted and cantered the ex with no refusal. We changed direction and repeated the same process, ending on a very nice note of willingly cantering the ex, albeit a bit rushed on the forehand. I'll take it, as it is improvement. Hopefully soon this non-sense of running out will be behind us.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

2 comments:

  1. I am sure that sooner or later rose will get the right idea x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is weird! I'm glad she worked through it and I'm excited you're getting back to riding and jumping again. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails