November 30, 2012

Postpartum no longer...contemplations on riding

Winter is rapidly approaching, although it's been quite wintery here for a while. Fall doesn't exactly hang around Montana for long. The change of the seasons, arrival of the holidays, and end of the year always causes me to become a bit reflective and start preparing for changes for the year to come.

It occurred to me today, that Jr. turned seven months old yesterday and I guess technically we are probably past the postpartum phase. It's also the end of the school semester. I've been teaching what I do for a living as an adjunct at a University this fall. It has been a great experience, but between teaching twice a week and all the prep that goes into it and coaching the IHSA team and being a mom to Jr., I've had zero down time and no time for Rose.

Now the semester is ending though. I'm not teaching in the spring, but I will have the IHSA team to coach again and my private sector business will ramp back up to pre maternity-leave levels. Financially this is a good thing, and will actually be less time consuming and more flexible than giving lectures and grading assignments. So, although things will be getting going again in the spring, for the holiday break I will have five weeks during Dec-Jan where things will be quiet and I will get to ride more often! Also, Jr. will be a bit older in the spring and his schedule should become easier, freeing me up to ride in the evenings on work days again.

Normally I give my horses a month and a bit off between Turkey Day and New Years. However, given that Rose has mostly had the last year and a half off, no vacation for her this year. It's time to ramp things back up. We both need to get in shape, and we need to seriously start working on our course work. Now that she's doing automatic changes I'm very excited to get her around a course. All good things to come.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

5 comments:

  1. hope that your plan goes well and that you get to ride your horse more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great plan. At nearly 6 months postpartum I feel nearly back to the same confidence as before, just waiting for my body to follow. Its a brave new worls with a baby isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely is. My general riding confidence is back, especially on Rose. However, I get some massive anxiety now when it come to jumping random school horses. That's a new one for me. The thought "can't die jumping this crazy horse...must live to feed baby" runs through my mind!

      Delete
    2. Lol, I know its funny the thoughts that roll through the head these days. I don't have the luxury of my own horse, but the one's I do ride are well schooled (albeit one did buck his owner the other day, so you never know).

      Delete
  3. Yay!!! I'm glad you're able to get back to riding. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails