July 28, 2012

Back to work

After our week of hell getting back into things, Rose ended up with two weeks off. In a nut shell? My maternity leave officially ended. There was a perfect storm of old work projects getting kicked off, out of town visitors, and a vacation planned all coupled with baby rearing. That meant that I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off to get everything done while Rose got to take it easy. Apparently what used to take me four hours to complete work wise now takes me a ten hour day. I'll get better at this work from home mom thing, I'm sure.

Rose - Post-hack on Tuesday
Due to having two weeks off and her behavior the week prior, I was prepared for a huge fight and unpleasant ride when I got to the barn on Tuesday. However, what I found was a perfectly calm and well behaved mare that didn't challenge me on anything. I was in a bit of disbelief over it, but soaked up every single uphill and rhythmic canter stride and her beautiful floating trot. We had a nice easy hunter hack warm up and proceeded to work on some transitions. After that I decided to run her through Training Level test B (because it's the only one I have memorized). It is a bit odd to me to do a dressage test in hunter tack, but I still think dressage even in hunter tack is an excellent exercise for any horse. Plus it is something that Rose is confident at doing, while learning her to develop a new way of balancing with me in a hunter position rather than dressage. Below is a video of our little dressage test.



I was delighted that our ride on Thursday was even better, and I cannot wait to get back out to the barn again next. Hopefully one day this weekend...but that will depend on our next set of house guests. It's mind boggling how having a baby brings out the visitors!

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

6 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture up top! Beautiful! Her eye is really spectacular in it.
    Bet your missing that sweet baby while at work!! Hope your rides keep going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britnie. Actually I'm lucky in that I have a home office, so I'm home with him every day. However, it is a challenge to work efficiently! I'm figuring it out though:)

      Delete
  2. I love that picture of Rose! You both look great. I love her stretchy trot circle. :D So cute. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has been fun to read. I'm so happy Rose found a person. She looks just like her dam in this picture. (I was her first person.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I'm so happy you follow the blog! You certainly bred a lovely mare, that is for sure.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails