March 20, 2012

Springing Up

Happy first day of spring everyone! Today was one of those days where I had errands to run, and therefore had no expectations. Isn't it funny that those are generally the days that turn out to be the best?

I had to hit up the feed store for Rose's grain this afternoon and then I planned on a beauty parlor session for her, followed by some free longeing. As I was going to all sorts of weird lengths to lift, balance, and pour her two 50lb grain bags into her feed tub a happy thought occurred to me. This was the last time that I would have to lift a 50lb grain bag while pregnant! Yep, we are closing in on the due date folks. Only 4 weeks and a few days left to go (or less). I can not wait for the little guy to arrive and to start getting back into the swing of all things Rose and prepping for the summer show season. I know that the little guy will take up most of my time, especially at first, and I'm excited about that too and I accept that I will likely be a zombie like creature for the first couple of weeks after he arrives. However, I'll be back in that saddle the afternoon that my OB gives me the all clear!


In addition to happy end of pregnancy thoughts, I had a delightful time with Rose this afternoon. She decided to be an absolute sweet heart today. Dare I say she's back to her old self? Maybe she's finally decided that it's okay that I'm pregnant and have two heart beats, or she's just gotten used to it? Who knows? Quite frankly I don't care. I just delighted in the moment as I hung out with and doted on my sweet mare. While grooming her and coating myself in a thick layer of shedding hair, it occurred to me that she looked taller in the front. I pulled out the barn's measuring stick and sure enough, Rose is a solid level 16.2h at long last! That was her predicted height as a foal and she turns five at the end of May. I know that some warmbloods keep growing a bit more until they are seven, so it will be interesting to see if she gets any taller. If she does, than that's fine, but I'm tickled pink with 16.2h. As far as I'm concerned that's just perfect for my leg length, and after all she has definitely been getting wider these days and I'm sure that she will continue to do so.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

4 comments:

  1. Happy spring to you! Glad you had a fun day with your girl. Pippi just recently quit growing and she is seven this April, good luck with Rose and her growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it to the "safe zone" in your pregnancy! Thanks to your determination to ride Rose I was totally set to work with my horses as long as possible when I found out I was pregnant in January. However the diagnosis of twins stopped those plans from happening and my doctor said "If it was a single baby, I'd tell you to play it safe, but since it's twins, please do as little as humanly possible with horses". Sad! So I can't wait to hear all about your new little one and how quickly you get back in the saddle! It'll be inspiration for me to drag myself out to the barn after my little ones are here.

    Good luck on the pending labor and delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should get a end of pregnancy pic with Rose :) and show us. Because we all want to see your cute self! Congrats on the baby, he is going to be handsome for sure!! Can't wait to hear all about him too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww!! I'm glad Rose is being such a darling.

    So exciting about your baby! I can't wait to see pictures. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails