February 9, 2012

Product Review: Camelot Saddlery Girth Extender

Following Rose's two month vacation this winter it was a struggle to get my barely used 50 inch girth on the bottom billet holes of my hunt saddle. She doesn't look fat, just right, so I think what is happening is that she's starting to fill out at long last. That prompted me to head down to our local tack shop and see what they had for a girth extender. The thought of buying yet another brand new girth, which she may still grow out of didn't sit too well with me.


What I ended up with was a Camelot Saddlery girth extender for $21.95. Looking about online, it appears that you can find it for about half the price, but then there is the shipping fee which brings the price right back up to about what I paid for it. So if you have an online order already going out, that would be the time to buy it...unless of course you need it ASAP as I did.

The extender has elastic and roller buckles. It seems like it is made of decent quality leather and stitching, worked great, and did it's job, so I'm pretty happy with it. The 3 inches that I needed were easily added to my girth, and then some. For a girth extender I'd recommend it. It's always handy to have one laying about anyway, especially if you have growing or multiple horses to deal with. I wish I had thought about it prior to buying Rose the 50 inch girth, as I think she's just going to keep getting wider over the next couple years. In the past two years I've accumulated a ridiculous number of girths ranging from 46 inches to 50 inches. Lesson learned. Note to self: buy a girth extender instead of multiple girths for a growing horse!

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

3 comments:

  1. They are just great and so helpful when you don't want to buy yet another girth. Problem is, they are relatively small. So where do you leave them during those times that you don't need them? They are very handy, now if only I could find mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Monique and welcome to my blog! Too true, miscellaneous small things like a girth extender are easy to misplace. I however, have an overly organized tack storage set-up in my garage (not too handy when I'm at the barn, but very organized). I suppose once I don't need it anymore my extender will go in my plastic tub labeled spare girths. Yes, I have so many they have their own tub now. Prior to that though, I imagine it will reside in the depths of my tack trunk to be easily accessed if I need it and then eventually forgotten about until a spring cleaning.

      Delete
  2. Good hint lol! I'm glad you found something that works. I bought my surcingle local for the same reason, once you add shipping it's not cheaper online.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails