February 1, 2012

Prevent Static Shock During Grooming

If you live in a dry cold winter climate like we do, static is a fact of life. I have always been diligent, even in other climates, to avoid causing static shock when handling my horses. Grooming is one of those times that static is ever present.

Over the years, I've tried different methods to prevent shock including rubbing dryer sheets over the horse to discharge the static before grooming. Dryer sheet's work just fine, but my current method is just more convenient. What I do these days is to simply spray any brand of a Show Sheen like product on my grooming brush before touching my horses coat. Currently I'm using Mane 'n Tail Detangler. I'm also a big fan of Laser Sheen. It's a simple enough trick and seems to get rid of the static for the rest of my session at the barn, and I don't have to remember to stock dryer sheets in my tack trunk. It also helps keeps your horse cleaner during the no-bath winter time. However, you might want to avoid the saddle area if you are going to ride, it could get a bit slippery.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

3 comments:

  1. That's so weird, I've never gotten static from grooming before (or heard of it being a problem). Maybe because I am often touching my horse with my free hand (so any charge created by stroking is constantly discharging)? I also use a curry comb when body brushing - maybe that helps discharge the static too. Good to know there's a solution to this should it even happen to me though - and I'm sure it will now that I know it exists ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you listen closely you can hear the snap snap snap sound of the static, although it won't shock you. The horse however, being more sensitive than us, does feel the uncomfortable crawling shock that come with it. I've noticed that the static happens with the curry come too, so if she's not too dirty I usually only scrub the gunky parts off Rose with my finger tips before brushing. However, she lives outside 24/7 and is not blanketed, so it could be she generates more static from the dry cold air than a blanketed or stabled horse. Aside from removing blankets, I never really noticed much static on her coat in the winters in Oregon where it is very humid, just now that we are in Montana.

      Delete
  2. I do the same with Vetrolin shine and it works wonders :) Great tip.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails