January 16, 2012

How and Why to Use a Stud Chain

2yr 11mo old Rose - McIver State Park, Oregon
First off-barn outing (April 2010)

How I use a stud chain with a halter:
  1. Standing on the left side of the horse, run the chain clasp up through the attachment ring (the one you attach the lead line to) on the bottom of the halter.
  2. Run the clasp up the left side and out through the ring (or square) located between the nose band and cheek piece.
  3. Drape the chain over the horses nose crossing over the top of the halter's nose band.

2yr 11mo old Rose - McIver State Park, Oregon
First off-barn outing (April 2010)
  1. Run the clasp through and out the ring on the far side of the halter.
  2. Run the clasp up the far side of the head and clasp it onto the ring located located between the cheek piece and the crown piece. 
  3. If the chain is too short to reach the cheek piece ring, run it down the far side and clip to the attachment ring instead.

*Never tie or cross tie a horse with a stud chain attached!

Why use one?
Stud chains are useful when working with young horses to respect the halter pressure, "hot horses" that you need more leverage with like stallions or proud cut geldings, and sometimes when your horse is in a new and unfamiliar setting causing it to be more reactive and less respectful than normal.They are also helpful to have around for hanging temporary water buckets or keeping a broken gate closed while waiting to repair it's latch.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

6 comments:

  1. Ah...that blog post is soon to follow! I feel the pressure but I ignore it. There are actually very few rope halters in use at my current barn, as it has non-Montana roots. My last barn actually required all boarders to have one for the staff to use. I scratched my head a bit on that one.

    Personally, I had a really scary trampling experience with a rope halter in my past and ever since decided to stick with my trusty stud chain when needed. I know others love rope halters, but I don't. However, I did train Rose to wear one, and I do have one that hangs on her paddock gate in case anyone else needs to halter her in an emergency. I figure since I already own it thanks to the last barn, and it's more or less weather proof it might as well have some sort of purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do stud chains damage leather halters? I've always wondered that and since Rose is wearing a leather halter in the picture I figured I'd ask lol. Looking forward to your rope halter post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen one hurt a leather halter. The edges of the chain should be smooth. Also they are only used when needed, not on a regular 24/hr basis. Once you are done with training or whatever reason you are using it, you remove it from the halter.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I guess it's because I've never had a leather halter (grew up using flat nylon), but it just seems like they'd be so easy to scratch, nick and tear. :) If I was able to finally have one I'd be afraid to even put it on a horse. They are so pretty.

      Delete
    3. Well, I suggest waiting until Chrome is at least 3 before investing in one. Rose killed a few in her early days. I quickly resorted to nylon ones with leather crown pieces (breakaway halters). Ever since she grew up a bit more and started her under saddle training the leather halters have survived. Also, always spend the extra cash for the triple stitching. It'll last longer. My personal preference is to have it padded as well...but that's just getting picky.

      Delete
  3. just got my new colt in, he is not yet 2 and very big and strong. it is obvious noone has taught him much and he is disrespectful and pushy. WHERE do I begin? Im going to have to use a stud chain number one, but Im also leaning towards patience pole and for how long? also round pen work and moving those feet. Any thing to ad please jump in

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails