November 16, 2011

Intro to the garage door

Monday's ride was, well, a MONDAY. We had 50mph winds when I got to the barn, which did not do much to settle Rose. I lowered my expectations, rode, and called it a day. It was also our first time sorting out what to do about entering the arena via the garage door.

The problem: The garage door only opens from inside, and Rose is not accustom to the noise.

The solution: Tack up horse and place halter and lead over bridle with reins wrapped. Place a blocker tie ring near by the arena to a sturdy post and tie Rose up. Open garage door. Enter arena. Tie Rose with another blocker tie ring inside the arena. Close door. Ride.

The reality: Initial tie up to the post was a challenge due to wind gusts. After about three pulls on the blocker, she finally settled long enough for me to get into the arena and open the door. She had no response to the door opening and stood nice and quite. Whew. I rewarded her with a small, bit friendly,  treat. She easily walked through the garage door and I tied her up inside the arena. I went back to the garage door (about 50 feet away) and closed it. She pulled back startled, but was still tied. I decided to be smart stupid and practice opening and closing the door to desensitize her to it. At each additional opening and closing she pulled back more on her tie until she managed to pull the tie ring out of the wall...even with the blocker tie ring attached. In hindsight I should have re-tied her each time keeping the lead rope short. Ugh. I took her lead rope off and let her mill about the arena loose. I then opened and closed the door about a dozen more times. At first she wildly galloped around the arena, but once she appeared bored and was just standing in the middle of the arena I stopped. I closed the door for the final time and shrugged, thinking to myself "well, at least she is warmed up".

Our ride was challenging due to the wind and ice falling off of the roof, so I didn't ask to much or expect too much. After our ride another boarder was in the arena, so she helped me out by opening and closing the garage door for us. At that I called it a day. It was too cold and windy to work on the people door.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite the process. Glad it ended on a good note. I like your thought process in developing your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice on the roof? Already? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we don't have much of an Autumn here. It's been snowing for the past 2 weeks. Winter wonderland. :) Yea for indoor arena! Just not the people door >:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I could not live there! Too early for snow lol. We won't get any until January at the earliest, March at the latest. :) I hope you have a mild one.

    There's nothing wrong at all with changing your plans and working on something else. It sounds like she needed some desensitization with the garage door. :) I'm glad she eventually got over it, especially with you riding. Very good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails