November 7, 2011

I don't need two babies on my hands

Several people had/have suggested that I hurry up and breed Rose while I am pregnant. It was theoretically possible at the time as it was late summer and she was still in heat. As of late, several people have mentioned that it's a shame I wasn't thinking ahead and bred her. Um, yeah, I did think ahead and that's why she's not bred, thank you very much. While I know they all meant it with good intentions (because everyone loves foals) there is no way I would breed her right now and I certainly don't feel like a chump for not having gotten it done. It's not like it hadn't crossed my mind. Although I know very little about being pregnant myself, and even less about pregnant horses, I do understand the basics of when and how a horse can be bred. So I thought about it and realized that I didn't want to go there. Once the mini-human comes along, my time and check book will be strapped, and I don't see any room for raising and handling a foal. Plus, I would be far more stressed and concerned about Rose's pregnancy than my own.

Even so, in a perfect world if I were to breed Rose it would likely be with an embryo transplant, which means leasing and boarding another mare. Something that I won't be able to afford for a while and I'm not inclined to do until we have our own land and I don't have to board a broodmare. In addition, I only intend to breed Rose to keep the foal for myself as my next prospect. I'm not foolish enough to think that with no breeding experience that I could actually turn a profit on breeding a foal (I think that is where a lot of people get in financial hot water with breeding). These are all reasons that lead me to think breeding her while I'm pregnant makes no sense whatsoever...for me. Maybe it does for others, just not me.


Happy trails and swooshing tails!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. I think you always have to do what is best for you! My husband is wanting to have our mare bred in the next couple of years - and it would also be for a horse for him. I am pretty hesitant to do this...with have to do lots of research before I agree to this. While I have 2 human babies (they are 17 and 20), no experience with the equine variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are SO SMART to not want to breed Rose while you are pregnant. My mare had a foal this last spring and they are so much work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I do not see the sense in breeding your horse while you are pregnant. I mean I understand they think you won't be riding pregnant so by breeding her now you won't lose time riding her, but even that doesn't make sense because you can ride for as long as you are comfortable and horses can be ridden for most of their pregnancy. No logic in it. It would just be more money and work. So yeah I totally agree with you. Enjoy riding your young mare and enjoy your new baby. Foals can come later. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails