October 27, 2011

Thoughts on Riding While Pregnant

I'm not planning to ride past 20-weeks, but why? Plenty of us ride up until the labor pains come. Am I being a chicken? Nope. Do I like following doctors orders? I've never been too good at that. So why?

If my livelihood were riding and training, I likely would not be so cooperative with my OB. I am a good rider with a Velcro arse after all. If I had additional horse options I would keep riding less risky mounts past the 20-week stage and ride until I gave birth, my balance got so out of whack I couldn't do it, or my belly got too big to get on and off. However, since this is my one and only (that's the plan), and it's not my livelihood to be in the saddle, and the only horse I have to ride is an unpredictable 4-year old warmblood mare, I figure I can suck it up for 5½-months and not ride. It won't be easy of course. I will definitely be risking my mental stability by not riding. Also, the closer that 20-week mark gets (only 5½ weeks left) the more I start thinking/realizing that I may not be totally on board with doctors orders.

For anyone who has the audacity to ask me why I'm still riding, I've found that telling them my doctor said it was okay usually puts the issue to bed right away. After all, who is going to argue with doctors orders? Granted, I still don't look pregnant, so it's not really an issue as of yet. As a visiting trainer to our barn said the other day in retort to my being 4-months along "you are going to be one of those tiny pregnant women". I couldn't quite tell if it was a complement or not, but I decided to take it as one. I have after all gained 2 pounds! Anyway, even if people know I'm pregnant they don't seem to think about it. I think it's an out of sight, out of mind, sort of thing. I'm guessing that disapproving people won't really get in my business about it until I look pregnant.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!

post signature

7 comments:

  1. I think it's different for everyone. I have several friends who rode as long as they could and ultimately it was trotting + stressed out bladder that forced them out of the saddle. Unless they wanted to risk, uh, leakage. So yeah I think our bodies tell us when it's time anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't look preggo until I was 6+months, lol. I say ride until you don't feel comfortable and enjoy life. Trust me, you won't feel up to riding for a while afterwards if your delivery is anything like a lot of womens. You'll probably want sleep time instead of ride time in those first few months after having the baby.

    My little one did not totally finish up night feedings until he was 6 months old. Ugh... I was extremely sleep deprived for 6ish months.

    Do you know the gender yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HammersArk: We won't find out until the beginning of December...right around when I'm not supposed to ride anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've forgotten the time frame for finding out the gender :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew some people who didn't ride at all and some who rode up to 8months. And I've heard some doctors say to continue doing the activities your body is used to. I guess it's just different for everyone. I'm sure you've got plenty of people being more negative than positive about it. Mainly because they think us horse people are crazy :) My friend on bed rest used to go sit out at the barn with her 2 yr old (Poppy's baby). We have to be around horses...no matter what! lol. I would just go with it...don't cut yourself off cold turkey. If you feel like riding, do it. If you feel guilty or your gut tells you no, then don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think whatever you're comfortable with and what your doctor thinks you can handle is the best way to go. If you want to quit riding for a bit, no problem! If you want to keep riding go ahead! But ultimately it is your call as long as your doctor says that you're not hurting the baby.

    When I found out I was pregnant wow, all heck broke loose. I was instantly told "sell your horses, stop riding, life is changing" um... no... life is changing yes but I won't give up my animals because I'm pregnant. As long as EVERYONE is well cared for, there is no issue! As for riding it's up to me and my doctor to decide. That was a horrible reoccuring battle with people on facebook and in person for the first several months.

    I have 11 weeks left to go. I'm finding that riding IS starting to hurt so I'm cutting back little by little. Gone are the barrel racing days and now our rides have turned into hour long jaunts around the park. I feel horribly guitly for not being able to see my horses as much as I want to but I also remember that eventually the little one will be born and I'll be back to it once again.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand people getting in other people's business. I think you're handling it well. Who cares what they think?

    I agree with what the others are saying. You'll know when it's time to stop riding. :) I'm still so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails