June 19, 2011

Lush Pastures


On Friday I was able to turn Rose out for about 20 minutes in one of the rather lush grazing paddocks. Our barn has a "no single horse" in turn out policy for the grazing paddocks. So, that means you have to turn out with a buddy or a neighbor. Luckily, some other horses were turned out when we finished our ride so Rose got a little grass time. Although I'd like to turn her out longer, I'm thinking that with this much grass it's probably best to keep her turnout short anyway. Upon observation when I went to bring her in, it appeared that she didn't move 10 feet the entire time she was in the paddock. She definitely brought her hoover impersonation, which is a good thing. You can tell from the photo that she's in the midst of another growth spurt. She's bum high and a little ribby. Although we've upped her feed, it's hard to keep up with her metabolism when she's growing, so bit extra grass will be a good thing...in moderation!



Happy trails and swooshing tails!


post signature

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious--why no single horses? I've never heard of such a policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised as well, since I've turned Rose out to graze all alone her whole life and never thought about it. However, I've always stayed at the barn when she's been turned out. What I can surmise is this:

    The grazing paddocks are located on the far side of the empty show stall barn, which is next to the regular barn/arena, blocking all view of other horses in stall runs. In addition, the regular turnout paddocks are on the far side of the regular barn. Someone once upon a time turned their horse out all alone and went to town for a while. Horse freaked out, possibly got injured, staff didn't want to deal with crazy horse in pasture, etc. etc. and the policy got set as it is now. Or, at least that's my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! You're probably right that it's best to start slowing on that kind of grass. I'm impressed how much there is lol. She's so pretty. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails