May 4, 2011

Injury updates

Things are looking good. When I got to the barn today, Rose was back to normal and full of herself. There was no swelling or heat in her leg and she was walking soundly. Here is a pic of the hole where the abscess blew out.You can see it right at the hairline near her heel bulb.

Abscess 5/4/2011


As for the cut on her leg from 12-days ago, it is healing well. Here is a comparison pic from day one and from today:
Leg wound 4/23/2011
Leg wound 5/4/2011

Given that Rose was in good spirits, I decided to longe her rather than just hand walk her. Basically, she's not getting turn out until tomorrow night to avoid mud exposure, so I needed her to burn off some energy before she starts climbing walls. Boy did she need it too! Now that her feet are feeling better she put on a good show kicking up her heels, bucking, and farting. Normally I don't let her do that on the longe, but since she was feeling good I thought I'd let her blow off as much steam as she needed to. For good measure I iced her leg again afterward, and then I put her in her stall.

Yes, stall. My stress level can't deal with the 27/4 mud and paddock situation anymore. Our new barn has a night turn out option, which I think will work for Rose. Night time is always when she was grumpy being in a stall in the past, so with a little luck this new situation will work. Fingers crossed! I would really like this to work, so that we can finally settle into some sort of routine.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the niceties of horsekeeping. In? Out? How long? Where? I'm reviewing our options again, too.

    Rose's cut looks so much better. Hope you're back in the saddle soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails