January 14, 2011

What bridling issue?

Last night Rose was back to normal and stood perfectly still in the aisle way and accepted the bit like nothing had ever happened.  It's amazing how babies try new things, or have a bad experience, but if tackled right away they forget all about it. One day, when she's more predictable and becomes the "been there done that" horse that I know she will be, I'm sure there will be some weird part of me that is going to miss the daily challenges that we currently encounter. However, for now, I can't wait until that day comes.

She was all around a complete gem last night. Just perfectly quiet on the ground, bridling, standing at the mounting block, and under saddle. There was no need to longe her, and I had to pinch myself to make sure this was the same horse I'd been dealing with for the past two weeks. Yep...it was indeed still Rose.

I think the cause of her recent exciting behavior has been the combination of four things:
  1. Two months off
    Lots of pent up baby energy.
  2. Cold weather
    This week it's warmed back up to the 50's here.
  3. Being in heat
    Apparently all winter this year...so much for a break from the hormones.
  4. Wrong feed.
    Due to recent barn staff turnover, she'd been getting fed the wrong food. I discovered this on Sunday night when I fed, but just assumed it was a simple mistake. When I fed on Wednesday I realized it wasn't a one off thing. Note left and problem fixed. The new barn manager is a very nice and accommodating person. Apparently there had been a turnover/communication breakdown, which is fine. Two weeks of the wrong food certainly won't hurt her, but it might explain all the extra energy.
I'm looking forward to attending a USEF 2011 test demo clinic tomorrow. As my trainer is currently looking/interviewing for a full time assistant/groom, I'm giving her a hand and playing groom for the afternoon while she participates as a demo rider. Should be fun! Notes, pictures, and possibly video to come!

BTW, if anyone out there is looking for full time work as an assistant dressage trainer working with an amazing trainer and great barn full of awesome adult amateurs, you can find out more details by clicking here.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Horses are creatures of habit, even more so than we humans. Disrupt that habit, and chaos can ensue. I think it is even more prevalent with the youngsters. Once they are older and more experienced, I think they recognize that the occasional change, Ilike a nine day trip to the wilderness)i s just part of what they do, and life will return to normal soon enough.

    As horse owners, the more challenges we face and solve, the better we become, which is advantageous to our horses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like she's forgotten all about it, which is definitely a good thing!

    By the way, you have an award waiting at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails