December 9, 2010

Dental Work

Rose gets her annual power float.

I can't believe it's been a year since the super cold day last December (9ºF) that I spent an hour loading Rose onto a trailer and hauling her to my vet for her first float. Luckily, this year, the barn vet made float house calls, so no need for a wasted vacation day and a 45 minute haul (although I now smile happily with the knowledge that it takes all of a few second to load her onto our trailer). I think it made Rose more comfortable having the vet make a house visit rather than being hauled off the property. She was super relaxed and well behaved on minimal sedatives, and she even rested her favorite hind foot the whole time. She was such a good girl, the vet couldn't have been happier with her. Gold star for Rose!


Side note:
For my few non-horse owning/riding readers out there...this is not a medieval torture device. This is actually the most humane way for horses to get their dental work done.



Happy trails and swooshing tails!

post signature

Adventures In Colt Starting

5 comments:

  1. Your vet's contraption is much different than my vet's contraption... I like yours better! The one my vet uses is just a halter with a big piece of hose on the bottom to cushion the chin and they string it up from the rafters. Yours looks much more supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. in2paints: It's pretty cool. Its basically a big circle with a pillow on the bottom half that the head just rests on. She's not strapped to it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there DS - just found your blog through your comment on Andrea's post :)

    I read through your archives and it is great to see how awesome your Gatsby baby is coming along! I am hoping to go look at Gabrielle sometime this week. All I ever hear about Gatsby babies is how wonderful they are, how fantastic their temperaments are, and the like. Fingers crossed it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manymisadvenures: Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails