July 1, 2010

Goodbye Stitches!

Yesterday was the 2.5 week mark since Rose cut her leg. This meant that it was time for the stitches to come out. This was my first time removing them and I was pretty excited about it. It seemed like such a technical thing to do...until the task was done of course. I have to say, removing stitches is one easy task. Putting them in is where the real skill is involved. So as much as I delight in dabbling in my “vet tech” hobby as of late, I don’t think that I earned that many gold stars removing the stitches.

As you can see in the photo, her wound is healing up well. Unfortunately I was fretting a bit too much over it the first day to remember to take a photo, so I missed my opportunity to document the healing progression from day one. I'm sure you can imagine how much worse it looked, although it looked the worst on about day six, due to swelling, etc. After that it just kept looking better with every bandage change. Only one more week of bandages and then we can resume full work. She's been a great patient and I could not have asked more from her. Luckily she's been content hanging out in her stall and run all day long and just walking and trotting under saddle. However, I am very much looking forward to watching her run and stretch her legs in the paddock next week. The vet said she could have limited turnout in a small paddock starting this weekend, so that's what she will start getting. Never having dealt with a wound that needed stitches before, I'm a little concerned about the wound splitting back open.

Am I needlessly worrying? Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom?

There will be a bit of a non-blogging break as we will be in Montana visiting friends and family for the next 5 days. I don’t know how Rose is during fireworks, as this is our first Fourth of July together, and I don’t want her to get re-injured as a result of being reactive. Given that the neighbors apparently put on a huge fireworks show Miss. Rose will be happily doped up in her stall on Sunday.

Have a great holiday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails