July 14, 2010

Back to work, at long last.

Between holiday weekends and moving, Rose got to have nearly two weeks off of work. The good news is that her cut is healing up well and looks like it won't scar much if at all. She's also back onto full turnout, which is certainly helping her mind. Now it's time to get her back into full work. The weather is finally cooperating, and it's been nice and dry and hot (maybe a little too hot, but I'll take that over rain any day). On my way to the barn the other day I caught a magnificent glimpse of Mt. Hood and had to share. This is my drive to the barn and is what has been hidden behind the clouds all year.

As I stated, we've been moving our house this past week. Thanks to the worlds most understanding fiance, I manage to sneak some time in for the barn and find time to longe her on Saturday, and longe/ride her on Sunday. Sunday turned out to be a rough day for Rose. All of the horses were turned out when I was riding, and she wanted to do anything other than focus on me. After so much time off I didn't have high expectations, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed by our mediocre ride.

Afterward I decided to give her a bath, which went well until a fellow boarder decided to fill up water buckets. Startled from the noise Rose shot forward out of the wash stall and turned her self around in the cross ties, ending up panicking and breaking the tie I couldn't get to free from the wall. Luckily no harm was done to her or anyone, just the cross tie. Its moments like that when I remember that she is still just a half trained baby. Now that she looks like a mature horse, and since most of the time she is so well behaved, it is easy to forget her age. As a result, I've decided that our ground manners project this month will be to get her desensitized to the water bucket/hose noise. Prior to our current barn she's always had an automatic waterer in her stall, so it's an issue that I was unaware of previously. My plan involves an empty bucket, her stall, a hose, and a stud chain and lead rope. This should be interesting, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails