Spring Training

Leo’s Journey: From Fresh Start to Flourishing

They say every great journey begins with a single step, and for Leo and me, the next BIG step began under saddle last August. His 8th to 10th rides were during a clinic with the fabulous Andrea Velas at a local indoor arena. Imagine my delight when Leo, just 3.5 years old, handled his first clinic and first indoor arena experience like a seasoned pro!


But life, like our best-laid plans, has a way of throwing us curveballs. In September, Leo got a mysterious 3-inch cut on his neck. Stitches meant a month off to prevent scarring. By October, we were back in the saddle, ready to continue our journey. Thanks to a mild start to the winter we were able to keep riding through December and progress our training enough for another clinic with Andrea in early January.

Winter in Montana is not for the faint-hearted. Following the second clinic, winter arrived in ernest and Leo enjoyed a winter break, on pasture turn out until mid-March. As soon as the weather improved, I moved him to my trainer’s barn. To my delight, Leo picked up exactly where we left off, proving that our bond and training were stronger than a few months off. Oh, and he turned 4 on March 7th—baby boy is growing up!


May 2024: Where We Are Now

Spring in Montana is like a box of surprises. One day it can be a beautiful 70 degrees, and the next day you might wake up to a foot of snow. The unpredictable weather makes consistent training a challenge. In addition to the weather, as a single mom, balancing my time with JR and my riding can feel like juggling flaming swords. Thankfully, my trainer keeps Leo in shape during those hectic weeks.


This week has been a whirlwind of weather woes and positive work chaos, so I haven’t been to the barn yet. But tomorrow morning, I’m planning to get back in the saddle. Leo hasn’t been ridden since last Friday, so I’m anticipating a spirited free lunge session before our ride. Here’s hoping for a smooth ride and minimal wild antics!


-Renee
Wishing you Happy Trails and Swishing Tails!

Comments

Popular Posts