January 24, 2012

Tack Trunk Progress

My tack trunk has been out of sight for the last week, as Hubs was doing the finishing and varnishing work at a friend's wood shop outside of town. To my elation though, he returned home with the trunk Monday night. Happy happy, joy joy!

Getting stain & varnish applied
After much debate and deep analysis of stain colors, I decided to go with a warm stain by Chemcraft called harvest. Hubs did some sample staining of different colors on maple scraps for me to help aid in the decision process, which was handy as the manufacturer's provided oak samples were a lot darker.  I think the color came out beautifully, and I love that you can see all the pretty grain patterns in the maple.
All varnished up & back home

Inside view
I am so excited to use my trunk, I can almost taste it. Having a bandage lid and a giblet drawer always seemed like a bit of a pipe dream to me...well that and an actual tack trunk all together. However, before it can make it's way to the tack room there are still a few outstanding items that need to be added to the trunk. I still need to pick out handles, lid supports, corner protectors, a hasp latch, and of course get a nameplate put on it!

Happy trails and swooshing tails!
•DS•

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails