September 24, 2010

What! No more Nolvasan Cream?

Stop the presses, Nolvasan Antiseptic Ointment is no longer being made and virtually no one even knows about it! I discovered this travesty recently while placing a SmartPak.com order to stock up on wormer, and knowing that I was low on Nolvasan I thought it was time to bulk up. After being perplexed as to why it was no longer on their site, and also not on DoverSaddlery.com I went to the forums. The result? No one seems to know what the deal is, it's just disappeared from the market. So I I called the fine folks at Pfizer and this is what they had to say: "It's been discontinued and there are no plans to introduce it back to the market". No reason given why.

Utter perplexed silence.

Given the lack of Nolvsan on the market I decided to just buy this month's wormer (Equimax) at my local feed store and also to pick up a bag of black oil sunflower seeds to add to Miss Thing's supplements. To my utter delight there were two tubs of Nolvasan Ointment still on the shelf. I resisted my urge to buy them both, knowing that barring any major injuries one tub will last me more than a year. Even Nolvasan has an expiration date after all. So the other tub is sitting there, lonely on the shelf at Costal Farm and Ranch in Oregon City. First come first serve, just saver every last little drop of it because once it's gone it's gone.

Updated 10/21/2011

Replacement options:
If you can't find one of the last remaining Nolvasan tubs though, here are a couple replacements accoding to the internet.  The important thing to remember is Nolvasan ointment had 1% chlorhexidine in a hydrophilic base, so you want to find something similar. I've never used these products so I can't vouch for them or recommend them, but it seems that it has the same active ingredients and percentages, however they seem to be more and more difficult to find.

Dermachlor Antiseptic Ointment
Vedco Chlorhex Ointment
Priority Care 1 Privasan Antiseptic Ointment

Personally I've just resorted to using Vetericyn Universal Wound & Infection spray. It seems to do the job for the most part on minor abrasions, but does require repeated application throughout the day, which doesn't work for most of us. I've also used Corona ointment on a few things that I'm concerned with getting dirty and that has seemed to be okay. Like with any wound, I just make sure to clean the wound with betadine solution really well before application. It is nice and sticky and seems to do the job, but it is still not a completely happy replacement for me.

Happy trails and swooshing tails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails